Programs You May Be Eligible For

Women, Infants and Children (WIC) Nutrition Program
WIC is a nutrition program that provides healthy food, nutrition and health education, and other services free of charge to eligible Massachusetts families. Almost all Head Start families are eligible for WIC services. To find out more about WIC or to apply, call 1-800-WIC-1007 or contact a WIC program in your community.

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program/SNAP
SNAP is a government assistance program to help eligible families buy food. The amount of SNAP food stamps you may receive depends on your household size, income, and expenses. They can be used to buy almost any food item in any supermarket where you usually shop for food. Some people must work to qualify for SNAP food stamps, while others are exempt from the work requirement.

Early Intervention (EI) is a program to help infants and toddlers who have developmental delays or are at risk for such delays. To find an Early Intervention program, go to Early Intervention Programs by City or call 1-800-905-TIES

Learn more about MassHealth and how to apply here.  This link also includes an application for individuals in the community, including those under 65, families, and people with disabilities.  A dedicated customer service number has been established for those who are effected by issues related to hurricane evacuation: 844-748-3928 (TTY: 800-497-4648)

General Supports

Mass 2-1-1 connects callers with free information and referrals for food, shelter, rent assistance, utility bill assistance, after-school programs, child care, counseling, senior services, disaster relief and more! The service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Calls are confidential and are available in multiple languages and TTY. If you are unable to reach 2-1-1 due to your telephone or cell phone carrier, a toll-free number is available: 1-877-211-MASS (6277).

MASSCAP (Massachusetts Association for Community Action)
MASSCAP is the association of the 24 Community Action Agencies (CAAs) in Massachusetts. CAAs provide fuel assistance and weatherization programs, housing assistance, housing search and homeless prevention programs, free tax preparation and other asset development programs to assist low-income people. See the MASSCAP website to find a local agency.

The Parent/Professional Advocacy League (PAL) operates a statewide, confidential, toll-free Parent Resource Network Line (1-866-815-8122) that provides information, referrals, and support to parents of children with mental health needs.

Family Resource Centers are spread throughout the state of Massachusetts.  Click here to find the location nearest to you! Family Resource Centers have been particularly important in the wake of Hurricane Maria- as Puerto Rican evacuees come to our communities, Resources Centers have connected them with services and deployed resources to meet their basic needs.

Health and Mental Health

Healthy Children is a website sponsored by the American Academy of Pediatrics that provides information on children’s stages of development and many health topics.  The American Academy of Pediatrics is dedicated to the health of all children.  Their website has news, research, health and safety tips, health initiatives, and lots of information for parents! You can also like their Facebook page to easily stay up to date on health news for children.

The Parental Stress Line offers free anonymous phone support, 24/7 at 1-800-632-8188. has a Children’s Health Guide: Newborn to Preteen with a lot of resources on wellness visits, immunization schedules, and more.

Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy The Cerebral Palsy Guide is a national organization that provides free educational information, financial options, and emotional support for parents and children affected by cerebral palsy.

The Tuck Sleep Foundation: A Community for Advancing Better Sleep provides a Parent’s Guide to Healthy sleep, including healthy sleep for infants, toddlers, and preschoolers.

Grandparents Raising Children

A MA Fact Sheet for Grandparents and Other Relatives Raising Children contains state-specific data and information for grandparents and other relative caregivers.

Domestic Violence

Jane Doe, Inc. – Massachusetts Coalition Against Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence is an organization committed to ending domestic violence and sexual assault. For information on safety planning, to download a map of domestic violence and sexual assault services throughout Massachusetts, or to contact SafeLink, a 24 hour statewide domestic violence hotline, click here. For more information about SafeLink that is answered by trained advocates 24 hours a day in English, Spanish and Portuguese as well as TTY (1-877-521-2601) and provides translation in more than 140 languages click here.

Substance Use

Here are some Massachusetts Substance Use, Treatment, and Recovery resources

  • The Journey Project is an excellent online resource for pregnant or parenting women with substance use disorder. This website emphasizes the importance of peer-to-peer support for women seeking and maintaining treatment and recovery before and after delivery
  • The Massachusetts Department of Public Health Bureau of Substance Abuses Services has many resources online, not only for opioid use, but for many other addiction challenges
  • For the Statewide HELPLINE call 1-800-327-5050 or go to
  • Statewide website for bed availability:
  • For services for pregnant women and family residential treatment call the Institute for Health and Recovery at 617-661-3991 or 866-705-2807

Substance Misuse information provided by the Office of Head Start on ECLKC for Early Childhood Professionals, Head Start programs, and anyone else interested in resources for children and families effected.

The American Society of Addiction Medicine promotes drug abuse prevention and treatment.


Career Centers are throughout the state of Massachusetts- go here for a list of locations.

All Education Schools groups resources for those interested in going to school by topic.  Click here for the Early Childhood Education section of the site!

Legal Support

Need legal information? Massachusetts Legal Aid Programs can help.  They put together the MassLegalHelp website to provide practical information about your legal rights in the state.


%d bloggers like this: